Nick had a hard time going to sleep last night because of his cough. This exhausted Gramma forgot to give him his singulair in the inhaler before his way late bedtime. I finally gave him a nebulizer treatment with saline and it worked it's charm and out he went. When I realized about 10 minutes later I forgot his singulair I had him do the inhaler anyway...to be safe. He barely wakes up once he is out.
I had NO problem getting him up. He could not wait to get to school to share his excitement with the teacher and class. The drop off time is between 7:30 and 8:00 and we got there about 7:40. I wanted to go in with him and he was glad to show me the way and around. (I had not been in the school yet nor have I met his teacher.) I signed in and went to his classroom with him. It was empty but shortly after that his teacher came in with TONS of enthusiasm and excitement...revving him up even more. After he showed her the pictures and she Ohed and Ahed she said...."Come on Nick!! Let's take you around the school to brag!!" He sweetly asked if he could take the pictures and in her unbelievably enthusiastic voice said, "OF COURSE." Of we went back towards the office where I signed back out and watched a few more minutes while he showed everyone within eye and ear shot the pictures and about how "cute" she is and his singing her a lullaby and getting to hold her. It is a shame his Mom and Dad couldn't see him. I left the school with tears in my eyes.
When I got home I emailed Becky to let her know about his night and how excited he was.
She asked if I was coming by myself....before we brought the boy after school. I had not necessarily thought I would, (bed sounded good), so instead of emailing back I called and she wanted me. It feels good to be needed. I just took care a couple things here and went as I was in my sweats. The hospital will not let Mom keep the baby in the room alone until she is back on her feet and Becky was still all hooked up. Chris had to go to work so Emily was only in to eat and a nurse has to stay with them. When I arrived Em was in the nursery and the nurses had just arrived to unhook her so I was there to help her take a shower and get into her own comfy clothes. That always feels so good. By the time she was comfy I had already had Emily brought to the room. We had a fairly low key morning.
At lunch time some friends from work came up with lunch and Chris was coming in so I took off to come home, shower, pick up my house, Nick and then head back again.
Becky has decided that staying there until Wednesday is TOO long so she is making arrangements to come home tomorrow evening so Nick can be there to bring Miss Emily home...can't do it during the day because of school...and the doctor had told her today it will not be a problem. I'm sure it won't be. Chris is off now for 2 weeks.
The hospital has been WONDERFUL. Hard to believe for me that this is the same hospital I was in 7 weeks ago. She has a thousand times more care...even when she COULD get out of bed...then I had even in those first hours after my surgery. I should demand a refund. LOL.
On Wednesday evening Aunt Colleen, Uncle Jason and cousin Maggie came to visit. Maggie wanted to hold the baby of course. Nick was so excited but had to show her how to do it..so we set him up in the chair first then let her hold Emily. It was funny to see his possessiveness. It was not an obvious thing like not sharing a toy but he definitely did not want Mag's to hold his baby sister. He told her she could sit next to him but was too small to hold her..at first that is. You can kind of see it in his face when Maggie is holding her.
John and I left quickly with Nick to come home and after we left Maggie had Emily and Aunt Becky to herself.
The striped caps are supplied by the hospital. Some time during the night Emily had been given a bath and when the nurse brought her back to Becky and Chris she had the hat on but with this bow in the front. The nurse had cut small slits in one and pulled another through the slits to make the bow. Of course the phone came out to snap a picture. So darn cute. We picked up a couple really nice bamboo cotton wraps that make so much more sense then the stupid receiving blankets you find in stores that are TOO small. It is made in a triangle. Becky also got this headband which is extremely soft and what is nice about it...it has a tiny band under that bow and you buy any bow you want and clip it on the headband. Too fun and she is so beautiful.


1 comment:
Indeed she is SO BEAUTIFUL! I can't get over all that hair. I love it that you are documenting Em's coming into the world story, including the dynamics between big brother and big cousin. What a precious if exhausting week! I'm just relieved all is well medically.
Post a Comment